AM 2014 Cosplay Contest Rules
- 3/4′s Rule – Must move at 3/4′s for all tame combat and action, no broken limbs or stage equipment
- Stunts must be approved by the Cosplay Staff.
- Do not leave anything on the stage you can’t immediately pick up and take off with you. This includes: Glitter and confetti. Liquids are not allowed.
- Reference art strongly encouraged for both Walk-on AND Skit participants, no judge has seen everything.
- All skits must turn in a script, or you will NOT be allowed to perform. Preliminary script/concept should be included with entry submission. Final skit is due by the deadline February 1, 2014.
- All skits will be prescreened prior to the contest.
- There will be no microphones available. All Skit audio must be pre-recorded and emailed by the deadline to email@example.com
- Dance-only skits are allowed, only if the choreography is completely original. No Hare Hare Yukai, Para-Para, etc. If you are doing a skit that it INVOLVES those dances or songs within, that is just fine. All skits are subject to pre screening.
- All costumes must be from a video game, anime, or graphic novel (Japanese, American, etc. Same rules as video games). To clarify on this rule, if it is a REAL character somewhere, and you have reference and proof, it is allowed.
- All costumes must be at least 50% made or altered by the contestants themselves.
- No costume can have won a major (Best of) award at any convention prior or have industry personnel performing. To clarify, you may not enter a costume that had already won a major award at a recognized event. Any questions about this please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participants in the contest are representatives of the community and as such are looked up to. Positive behavior is expected from all attendees. Any kind of harassment towards cosplayers, including but not limited to harassment on social media, will not be tolerated and will be grounds for dismissal from the convention as well as possible criminal charges.
- There will be a total of 70 entries, this includes skits and walk-ons. All sign ups must be done prior to the convention. Once the spots fill up registration will close and a waiting list will be created.
Due Dates for Media
- Audio/Video are due on February 1st, 2014 by midnight, no exceptions for both Skits and Walk-ons. All materials that will be used during the contest must be submitted by the deadline. Failure to do so will result in entry being dropped from the contest, at which time spots will open up for those on the waiting list. Acceptable formats include, MP3, avi, mp4, and jpeg for the backdrop with resolution of 1920 x 1080
- Entry Picture is also due at this time, this can be a picture in or out of costume, does not have to be a picture of the costume(s) that will be worn during the contest. Please summit as high a quality as possible
Three divisions for Walk-Ons
Time Limit: 30 Seconds
This novice category is intended for costumers with little or no prior experience making costumes and/or people with virtually no masquerade experience.
No member could have won more than one minor award or a major award at previous conventions.
The intermediate category is intended for people with some experience making costumes and/or masquerade experience or having a few awards for costumes.
No member could have won more than three major awards at previous conventions.
The Advanced category is intended for people with some experience in making costumes and/or masquerade experience or having a few awards for costumes.
Anyone may register for this division.
We recommend you pick your division during submission. If you still cannot figure your division, please pick the one that is closest to your level of costuming.
Time Limit: Minimum 60 seconds; Maximum 3:00
Time limit for skits is 2:30 minutes, while there is some leeway if a skit grossly disregards the time limit, it will be disqualified from winning an award.
Skits must be PG, no offensive language or vulgar performances are allowed.
People’s Choice Award
Decided Solely by the Audience. List of contestants and voting instructions will be up by the convention. This could be walk-on or skit.
Each Judge will pick a favorite.
- Best of Show
- People’s Choice
- Judges Awards – TBA depending on number of Judges
- First Place
- Second Place
- Third Place
- Advanced First Place
- Advanced Second Place
- Advanced Third Place
- Intermediate First Place
- Intermediate Second Place
- Intermediate Third Place
- Novice First Place
- Novice Second Place
- Novice Third Place
At time of registration, each entry will be assigned a time of 5 minutes to meet with the judges for craftsmanship evaluation. Craftsmanship judging will take place on Saturday TBA. Your time slot will be confirmed and emailed to the primary contact’s email. Please be on time and bring your reference material along with any WIP pictures desired.
AM Cosplay Contest 2014 is now full and no longer accepting submission!