AM 2013 Cosplay Contest Rules
- 3/4′s Rule – Must move at 3/4′s for all tame combat and action, no broken limbs or stage equipment here folks!
- Stunts must be approved by Cosplay Staff, and can be reviewed during the pre-screening process.
- Do not leave anything on the stage you can’t immediately pick up and take off with you. This includes: Glitter and confetti. (No liquid. Period.)
- Reference art strongly encouraged for both Walk-on AND Skit participants, no judge has seen everything.
- Audio can/will be provided for walk-ons, but we would like you to supply your own. (1 minute, mp3 format on a CD)
- All skits must turn in a script, or you will NOT be allowed to perform.
- All skits will be prescreened prior to the contest. (The judges will decide the skits that get to perform in the contest based on performance, quality, and content.)
- There will be no Mic’s available. All Skit audio must be pre-recorded and emailed while submitting your application
- Dance-only skits are allowed, only if the choreography is completely original. No Hare Hare Yukai, Para-Para, etc. If you are doing a skit that it INVOLVES those dances or songs within, that is just fine. All skits are subject to pre screening.
- All costumes must be from a video game, anime, or graphic novel (Japanese, American, etc. Same rules as video games). To clarify on this rule, if it is a REAL character somewhere, and you have reference and proof, it is allowed.
- No costume can have won a major (Best of) award at any convention prior or have industry personnel performing. To clarify, you may not enter a costume that had already won a major award at a recognized event.
Three divisions for Walk-Ons
This novice category is intended for costumers with little or no prior experience making costumes and/or people with virtually no masquerade experience.
No member could have won more than one minor award or a major award at previous conventions.
The intermediate category is intended for people with some experience making costumes and/or masquerade experience or having a few awards for costumes.
No member could have won more than three major awards at previous conventions.
The Advanced category is intended for people with some experience in making costumes and/or masquerade experience or having a few awards for costumes.
Anyone may register for this division.
We recommend you pick your division during submission. If you still can not figure your division, pls pick the the one that is closest to your level of costuming.
Walk-ons must be a Maximum of 60secs and a minimum of 30 seconds (please don’t run across the stage, let us see your hard work!)
Time limit for skits is 3 minutes, while there is some leeway if a skit grossly disregards the time limit, it will be disqualified from winning an award.
Skits must be PG, no offensive language or vulgar performances are allowed.
People’s Choice Award
Decided Solely by Audience. List of contestants and voting instructions will be up by the convention. This could be walk-on or skit.
Each Judge will pick a favorite.
- Best of Show – $500
- People’s Choice – $200
- Judges Awards – 4 Judges
- First Place – $250
- Second Place – $150
- Third Place – $100
- Advanced First Place – $100
- Advanced Second Place
- Advanced Third Place
- Intermediate First Place – $75
- Intermediate Second Place
- Intermediate Third Place
- Novice First Place – $50
- Novice Second Place
- Novice Third Place
At time of registration, each entry will be assigned a time of 5 minutes to meet with the judges for craftsmanship evaluation. Craftsmanship judging will take place on Saturday from 12:00pm to 4:00pm. Your time slot will be confirmed and emailed to the primary contact’s email. Please be on time and bring your reference material along with any WIP pictures desired.
Pre-registration for the contest is open and will close on March 1, 2013 at midnight CST, while they will be a very small limited number of at con sign ups, everyone is highly encouraged to preregister as there is a limited number of entries, once those are filled no more entries will be accommodated.
As always, rules are subject to change prior to the competition, keep checking back!
AM COSPLAY IS AT CAPACITY!! THANK YOU!